On Tuesday the 11th of September Holy Trinity is starting a Christianity Explored Course! This is an excellent opportunity for you to lean more about the Christian faith, while meeting new friends and having great dinners (free of charge).
In this course you will be reading the Gospel of Mark over the course of seven weeks. So a perfect chance to read the Gospel that, according to historians, was written around 70 AD. This is the time of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans and the persecution of Christians by the Roman emperor Nero. And of course, it is only about forty years after the death of Jesus. You will encounter this turbulence when reading Mark’s Gospel; and that alone is worth the read!
We wlll talk about various themes and start each evening with dinner followed by a fun video of about ten minutes, after which we will split into groups for discussion.
We will end each evening with a nice drink and you can stay as long as you want.
You are all very welcome and, of course, welcome to bring your friends. We are looking forward to meeting you!
- 11 september – Session 1 Good news
- 18 september – Session 2 Identity
- 25 september – Session 3 Sin
- 2 October – Session 4 The cross
- 9 October – Session 5 Resurrection
- 16 October – Session 6 Grace
- 23 October – Case Study I: The sower: Listen carefully
- 30 October – Case Study II: James and John: Ask humbly
- 6 November – Case Study III King Herod: Choose Wisely
- 13 November – Session 10 Come and Die
Banner: Detail from Bernini, Gian Lorenzo (1598-1680): Saint Longinus. Vatican, St. Peter’s Basilica
According to Christian legend, St. Longinus was the soldier who pierced the side of Christ on the cross with his spear (John 19:34). He is also identified with the Roman captain described in the Gospel of St. Mark as having acknowledged Christ’s divinity after seeing him die: “Truly this man was the son of God!” (Mark 15:39).