Once in every two weeks we meet with a group of students for our Student Bible Study. We usually start at 6:30pm with a meal, followed by the study, which takes max. 90 minutes. The studies are prepared by either a guest speaker, or one of the participants.
The aim of these meetings is to grow in our individual and shared faith and love in Christ, but also to meet each other and experience proper Dutch gezelligheid (hard to translate; something like sociability or conviviality, but even better).
After the study there is therefore a possibility to stay and discuss the study, your own life as a student, your favourite cup of tea, the latest football match, or anything else that dominates your thoughts.
We decided that our new theme would be ‘The Nicene Creed’, a summary of the Christian faith that over the course of the centuries so often is expressed by Christians all over the world. We will use this to go through the basic principles of the Christian faith and will lead us to discussions about theoligical themes as well as about what these statements mean for our personal faith.
Our Student Bible Study takes place biweekly on Tuesdays. It will start Tuesday 7th of November! Can’t wait that long? Join our weekly Student Alpha Course! If you need more information, please contact Erik, our Student Ministry Coordinator.
The 2016-2017 Student Bible Studies were about these topics:
- 6 December – Credo (I believe)
- 10 January – God the Father
- 24 January – God the Almighty
- 7 February – Creator of Heaven and Earth, all things visible
- 28 February – Pancake Tuesday and Lent Preparation
- 14 March – We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God
- 28 March – Creator of Heaven and Earth, all things invisible
- 11 April – He came down from heaven for our salvation, He suffered death and was buried
- 25 April – He rose again on the third day
- 9 May – He ascended into heaven
- 23 May – He will come again to judge the living and the dead
- 6 June – And his kingdom will have no end
- 27 June – Concluding activity
The 2015-2016 Student Bible Studies were about these topics:
- 13 October – Vainglory (Prayer & Praise sermon: Vainglory vs True Glory)
- 3 November – Avarice (Prayer & Praise sermon: Greed or Heavenly Avarice?)
- 24 November – Anger
- 15 December – Gluttony
- 12 January – Lust (Prayer & Praise sermon: Lust or Love)
We continued on discussing the sacraments which centred around questions like what are sacraments, what is the biblical basis, how did the church deal with sacraments and what can or do they mean for us. After an introduction we discussed the sacraments in eight separate sessions.
- 8 February – Introduction into the sacraments
- 12 April – Holy Baptism
- 19 April – Holy Communion
- 3 May – Confirmation
- 17 May – Anointing of the sick
- 31 May – Marriage
- 14 June – Confession and Absolution
- 28 June – Ordination
The theme of the Student Bible studies (2014-2015) has been the ‘virtues’. During the studies from October to December 2014 we discussed the theological virtues (faith, hope, love) and in January-March 2015 we looked at the cardinal virtues (prudence, justice, courage, temperance). In the remainder of this season we began looking at the ‘vices’, as opposed to the virtues. The idea is that a better understanding of these virtues and vices will help us both in making daily decisions and (foremost) in the forming of our character. We also used the opportunity to reflect further on these subjects with the sermon on the Saturday night Prayer and Praise services (links for the sermons are found below).
The 2014-2015 Student Bible Studies were about these topics:
- October – Love (Prayer and Praise Sermon on Love)
- November – Faith
- December – Hope (Prayer and Praise Sermon on Hope)
- 13 January – Prudence (Prayer and Praise Sermon on Prudence)
- 3 February – Temperance (Prayer and Praise Sermon on Temperance)
- 24 February – Courage (Prayer and Praise Sermon on Courage)
- 17 March – Justice
- 31 March – Evaluation and further planning
- 28 April – General introduction on vices
- 19 May – Envy (Prayer and Praise Sermon on Envy)
- 16 June – Sloth (Prayer and Praise Sermon on Sloth and Entering into God’s Rest)
If you would like to read a little background on how the virtues relate to the soul, you can click here.